Created: 2011-04-08 02:09:52
Exar
UK platinum
Points2shop is my specialty
Total posts: 1504
Total Earnings: $1533.24
Total Word Count:---- - LOL!

What is SEO?
Search Engine Optimization - It's a huge combination of things all made into an algorithim used to chose which website suites each position best. for instance, if you search for 'news' on google it pulls up all the 'news' websites in a certain order. (usually the most popular 1st) To win the searches over, you need to master SEO.

So What's counted in the algorithim?
It's mainly a combination of good content and links.

Content:
• Using your keyword choice through your website regular. (about 5-8% consisatant)
• How often (Fresh) your site is (Updated)
• Using good code (No dogy code or broken links)
• A blog (Great way of keeping it fresh!)
• Pictures (Using alt code)
• Good Structure (Internal links to all pages from al pages)
• Keywords in URL (Important)

So when you make your website, Think carefuly about how you are going to word it. What keywords are you going to use (that people search for) and how you are going to use them. Set those keyowrds in your page options and use them in your URL.
Use keywords in your headers and alt picture text. You need to be careful not to cram in too many though. Google can penalise you for 'stuffing' keywords.
Use a blog about your niche, using your keywords throughout and for headers. Make sure to check over all HTML code and links and check they work as google and co. picks up and badly designed websites and doesn't rank them so well.
The more pages you have the better really as you can get more keywords onto your domain without over stuffing the pages. (again blogs help with this) Having a good internal link structure really helps too as Google sees it as well designed. Plus you share all the PR evenly through all your pages.

Links:
• Types Of link?
• DoFollow Links?
• NoFollow Links?
• Juice?
• Where to get Links?
• How many Links?
• Social Media?
• Telling the Difference between NoFollow and DoFollow links?

Types of backlink
There are basicaly 3 types of backlnk.
• Text Link
• Hyper Link
• Anchor Text Link

Dependant on the type of link, depends on how much 'juice' is shared from the linking site. Juice is when the linking site shares some of its PR (Page Rank) to the linked website.

Text link: is just when you type in in like this:
http://www.points2shop.com/topic/84350/The-All-New-and-Improved-DiggDelicious-Exchange-D/1
This shares no juice as search engines only read it as content and not as a link.

Hyper link: is an actual link displaying the site url and is clickable.
http://www.points2shop.com/topic/84350/The-All-New-and-Improved-DiggDelicious-Exchange-D/1
This shares some juice towards the website it links to.

Anchor Text Link: Is the best type of link you can get towards your websites as you link your keywords to your URL. This gives you maximum 'Google Brownie Points' and really contributes towrds ranking. You can fit them into comments or blogs/wherever, and get maximum benefits at the same time. Just like myDigg/Delicious Link Exchange helps out with some easy backlinks.

Backlinks can be broken down again though into what's called NoFollow and DoFollow.

DoFollow links -
DoFollow links are links that search engines will follow through to the site that its linked to. DoFollow links also share some PR from the site it's linked on too. DoFollow links also help to contribute to ranking. The more high PR websites there are linking to you, the better the ranking will be.

E.g. The links on P2S/Cashle are DoFollow links and also share the PR to other sites it is linked to. All your links on sites you make are DoFollow to the sites you link to. But when people comment on your blog and leave a link it's NoFollow.

NoFollow Links -
NoFollow is what it says on the tin. Search engines will not follow through to the site it's linked to and the linking site will not share PR. You find a lot of sites use this now as they basicaly want the PR for themselves. (lol)

Link Juice
link juice is PR (Page Rank.) Page Rank is basicaly the popularity of a website. Each link a website gets (has) counts as a vote towards it. The more votes a site gets, the higher the PR it would get. PR goes on a scale of 1-10. 10 being the highest/most popular. Facebook and Google are PR 10 websites as they have the most links to it from other places and are really popular.

PR is really not that important to us though but some PR will come along to your websites if you link well enough. It was to just show you as to why anchor text links are the best links you can have.

Where to get backlinks
There are literaly thousands of places you can get backlinks from.

• Forums (make sure it's allowed in the rules)
• Blogs (Try to find DoFollow Blogs - See below)
• Send emails to comapnies asking to be link partners (sometimes they may charge)
• Social Media sites such as Digg, Stumbleupon and Delicious

When creating links it's best to not make it look spammy ie. If you comment on a blog, dont just say 'nice, thanks for sharing' as the owner will surely just not approve the comment. Instead try to add information to the conversation and in return you can display your link.

How many links do I need?
Well that just varies on the ammount of competition in your niche. If for example there are 2k other sites in your niche to beat then you will need a fair few links (100+). If on the other hand there is very little or no competition then you'll find that you dont need to many links BUT Always continue to create more as you never know when some competitor sites may pop up and try to beat you. Once ahead - stay ahead.

Social Media
This as a new and great way to get your site recognised by search engines. With all the new Social sites popping up now Google and Co now counts it all into the algoritim. Things like: How many tweets your page has had, facebook likes, Diggs and Delicious bookmarks.

Telling the Difference between NoFollow and DoFollow Links
There area few apps out there which can help to identify these links.

Google and Ranking
• Getting Ranked
• The Penguin Update

Getting Ranked
There are two ways to get your website ranked (although some people say the first one is incorrect - They both work the same and have the same effect) The first is to submit your url to search engines yourself. There are some websites that offer to submit you to 200 sites - There is no point on this as Google, Bing and Yahoo own the market. (Mainly Google at over 65%.) I would recommend to simply submit your url to the 3 main sites manually. The second way is to not submit it at all, promote your url using social media and get it to viral status. This makes Google and other search engines WANT to crawl your site. This process can be faster to rank your site but it does take quite a bit of promotion to get to viral status.

The Penguin Update
So what's in the new update? a.k.a. The penguin update Here's a Link to explain it all.

*Google also re-ran the panda 3.4 update.

I don't really think I should mention this here as it may spark questions, but it seems to me that negative SEO is on the up. Even though it is legal, I highly recommend you do NOT do it. It'd down right nasty. The reason I am saying this, is because S.E.O. companies are starting to offer services like this. I read a story on a forum about how 1 person totally destroyed a successful company website using these tactics.

Finally, here are some tips from Google themselves:

There are 8 “specific guidelines”. They are (verbatim):

• 1. Avoid hidden text or hidden links.

• 2. Don’t use cloaking or sneaky redirects.

• 3. Don’t send automated queries to Google.

• 4. Don’t load pages with irrelevant keywords.

• 5. Don’t create multiple pages, subdomains, or domains with substantially duplicate content.

• 6. Don’t create pages with malicious behavior, such as phishing or installing viruses, trojans, or other badware.

• 7. Avoid “doorway” pages created just for search engines, or other “cookie cutter” approaches such as affiliate programs with little or no original content.

• 8. If your site participates in an affiliate program, make sure that your site adds value. Provide unique and relevant content that gives users a reason to visit your site first.

Pay attention to number 8!

Building Websites
• Ways to build websites
• Different Builders
• Weebly News

Ways to build websites
You can either use drag and drop interface websites or code you own. (which I cannot do)
Both have their advantages and dis-advantages. Coding does not limit you to 20 templates and you have a whole world of design options there for you (providing you know how to do it.) Using builders means (you are not pulling your hair out coding - lol) its simple, easy and very user friendly.

Different builders
There are loads of different sites you can use the drag and drop interface. Each one has it's own specialty, some cost more than others for full domains and some even let you bring your own domain to them. (I will try to get more information and update this later)

•Webs - Good Builder - Cannot transfer domains - $20 for a .com domain for 1 year
•Weebly - Great Builder - Lacks templates - Can bring your own domain - *See Weebly News Below
•Moonfruit - (Not tested Moonfruit)
•Wix - Good Builder - *Flash Based (some speculation in whether Google can read flash sites)
•Yola - Good Builder - (Unsure of domain transfers) - (unsure of costs)

Weebly News
Until now most of you will have been aware that Weebly like to take down our websites without notice. (which is very frustrating) I think at the time it started happening becuase..well.. our site looked terrible and scam-ish. Now I have recently suffered the wrath of Weebly. 2 of my main websites; (not bad ones - very detailed and clear in what things are and not sounding like a scam) Both ranked in top 3 positions for their niches as well. (Sigh)

So as you do I emailed Weebly as anyone would. About 3 days later I finaly got a message back saying that they no longer tolerate any websites like ours (no matter how good they were) and that they are starting to remove them as they find them. Luckily though I asked for them to send me the link to download your site as a zip so I can take my website to my own hosting. If this happens to any of you (which I reckon a lot soon.) you can still get your website but in code form.

I keep adding to this so make sure to check back for regular updates, I will usually post in the thread to notify though.

Exar
Need advice on SEO?Read My SEO Breakdown|----------------------------------| | Help put an end to Cancer by Donating to Cancer Research|
technomonk1
US (GA) platinum
Half way there
Total posts: 723
Date of Birth: 1997-03-30
Total Earnings: $210.01
Wow. Props on the extremely long post that lost me, but is probably really helpful.
Dysc0rd
CA platinum
Half way there
Total posts: 677
Total Earnings: $453.05
Cool guide...Thanks for this :)
Silentfire
US (CA) elite
Total posts: 1063
Date of Birth: 1992-11-18
Total Earnings: $574.53
ty :) lol ~continues working on mine~
Exar
UK platinum
Thanks. I will finish this off later today.

Exar
Need advice on SEO?Read My SEO Breakdown|----------------------------------| | Help put an end to Cancer by Donating to Cancer Research|
Exar
UK platinum
More Updates in now. Hows it looking?

Exar
Silentfire
US (CA) elite
Total posts: 1063
Date of Birth: 1992-11-18
Total Earnings: $574.53
its looking nice :D and reminded me to go add my new site to my digg and delicious lol
Exar
UK platinum
Then get it into the exchange I have. Easy Diggs/Deliciouses for your site.

Exar
vMeza
US silver
Junior Poster
Total posts: 90
props on great walktrough!!
Dysc0rd
CA platinum
Half way there
Total posts: 677
Total Earnings: $453.05
I LIKE IT EVEN MORE NOW THANKS! AWESOME JOB!

1 2 3 4 5 6
You are not logged in.

Chat History

will load when you scroll to the bottom