More options
Points2Shop Forums » Referral Talk » Give permission to use proof pics here.
Created: 2011-03-15 02:37:22
nadeemrh
US platinum
Points2shop is my specialty
Total posts: 1117
As you all know, you need to ask for permission to use someone's proof picture. If you have a good proof picture that most people would like to use building their ref sites, give permission here. Many users don't want to ask, because it might take a while for an OK.
NYY1313
US (AZ) elite
Total posts: 2405
Date of Birth: 1994-02-03
Total Earnings: $3793.36
well technically since any picture put on the forums had to be uploaded to the internet, you dont need to ask permission to use it. you just need to give credit to the person the picture belongs to. thats just legally anyways...
helmsuzanne
UK moderator
Total posts: 2023
Date of Birth: 1984-02-05
Total Earnings: $2015.86
well technically since any picture put on the forums had to be uploaded to the internet, you dont need to ask permission to use it. you just need to give credit to the person the picture belongs to. thats just legally anyways...NYY1313

Im pretty sue you do need permission to use someone's proof pic.
connorconway
UK elite
Old Forum User
Total posts: 2671
Date of Birth: 1992-06-30
Total Earnings: $681.94
I'm not sure if we do really NEED permission.
I mean, every picture from here is indexed and ranked on Google so every image can be found by using a simple Google search.... and I don't think anyone here, ever, has found an image from Google, looked for the original owner, and asked for permission before using it? Though I may be wrong :p

As long as you do not claim the image as your own it'll be fine :)

That being said, I do thinks it's correct to ask for permission, in a community sense of view :)

And I don't have a picture for you yet, sorry... but I have JUST, literally, ordered my iPod so I shall give you one shortly if you desire :p :)
LadyPanddorra
US (WA) legend
Total posts: 1347
Date of Birth: 1984-12-18
Total Earnings: $2565.69
I'm not sure if we do really NEED permission.
I mean, every picture from here is indexed and ranked on Google so every image can be found by using a simple Google search.... and I don't think anyone here, ever, has found an image from Google, looked for the original owner, and asked for permission before using it? Though I may be wrong

As long as you do not claim the image as your own it'll be fine

That being said, I do thinks it's correct to ask for permission, in a community sense of view

And I don't have a picture for you yet, sorry... but I have JUST, literally, ordered my iPod so I shall give you one shortly if you desireconnorconway

That is what I was basically thinking. Unless it is copyrighted then I am pretty sure it is public domain. I am not 100% sure though.
NYY1313
US (AZ) elite
Total posts: 2405
Date of Birth: 1994-02-03
Total Earnings: $3793.36
Im pretty sue you do need permission to use someone's proof pic.helmsuzanne

since the picture was uploaded to a public site like imageshack, the picture is public and anyone can use it. you give up copyright claims and anyone can use it. but since it is a community it should be asked to use it though
freezeice04
AU elite
Junior Poster
Total posts: 67
Date of Birth: 1993-08-18
Total Earnings: $10051.49
Are you allowed to put in "fake" proof? Cause if you can then its pretty easy you can easily modify like a $10 amazon gift card to like $1000 or for paypal too.
2010-08-29 00:49:22
JacobArensus
UK elite
Why stop now?
Total posts: 884
Total Earnings: $6590.84
Just to make something clear - the entire internet does not fall into the "public domain" as many of you are speculating. If this was the case, you could rip anything from the internet and post it anywhere else - which would get you sued in many different instances.

A picture completely created by someone else is intellectual property of the creator by definition, regardless of where it is posted. If it is posted in a location where that specific location gains full rights to the picture (or whatever the medium may be), and allows re-distribution of it, then sure, you can take it and post it anywhere to your hearts content. However, you cannot assume everything is like this - I am not sure what the points2shop ToS is in regards to this, but the initial assumption should always be towards intellectual property of the owner. If it's not stated in the ToS, then it defaults to this anyway.

If you take something that is intellectual property, at minimum you will be plagiarising, at maximum you will be breaching copyright.

In the least, just make sure you don't make it sound like it belongs to you. Always cite your sources the best you can.
JacobArensus
UK elite
Why stop now?
Total posts: 884
Total Earnings: $6590.84
ps - can some mod fix the unfortunate mistype in the title of the thread... "proof pis"...
lacrimosaangel
UK moderator
Total posts: 2375
Date of Birth: 1988-05-14
Total Earnings: $1519.78

However, you cannot assume everything is like this - I am not sure what the points2shop ToS is in regards to this, but the initial assumption should always be towards intellectual property of the owner. If it's not stated in the ToS, then it defaults to this anyway.

If you take something that is intellectual property, at minimum you will be plagiarising, at maximum you will be breaching copyright.
JacobArensus

This is correct. p2s has ALWAYS stipulated that any pictures, proof or otherwise that are taken from the site MUST be done with permission of the original owner of the content. Just because they can be found on Google does NOT mean that you can just take them and post. Google does not "own" the pictures and ownership of such copyrighted material would not be passed along without prior knowledge and confirmation given by the original owner.

You MUST get permission to use proof pictures. Not only is it a legality issue, but it is also morally correct and in good manners. It takes less than 2 seconds to ask permission, better safe than sorry guys.

ps - can some mod fix the unfortunate mistype in the title of the thread... "proof pis"...JacobArensus

Has been fixed :) Thanks ^_^
~Running around in circles feeling caged by endless rules...~

You are not logged in.

Chat History

will load when you scroll to the bottom