More options
Points2Shop Forums » P2S Apps & API » Why are the permissions on the android app so abusive?
Created: 2013-09-09 10:49:51
chris4ich
ES platinum
Senior Poster
Total posts: 198
Date of Birth: 1987-06-28
Total Earnings: $215.78

I received an update notification, which was manual because they changed the permissions. Especifically they added two more:

1. Modify/deletes SD card
2.Network and GPS based locationNew permissions

I find these permissions abusive because I don't understand why are they needed. And I'm not talking about the pemissions to read phone and contact data and phone state and identity (IMEI) I hadn't realized this and I'm concerned with my privacy, since I have an important amount of sensitive information in my phone. If anyone could explain me why such permissions are used I probably would be interested in updating

Below I attach a screenshot of the confirmation of the new update

If you find my answers helpful, don't forget to drop a positive vote in my profile. It does nothing but shows your appreciation
squadprincess
US (CO) platinum
Junior Poster
Total posts: 54
Date of Birth: 1982-02-22
Total Earnings: $255.82
Thank you for sharing this information this is stuff people must not know and now that I am fully aware there will be no update in my future!
Always a Princess!!!
chris4ich
ES platinum
Senior Poster
Total posts: 198
Date of Birth: 1987-06-28
Total Earnings: $215.78
You're welcome. I think everyone is concerned about their privacy as am I and I surely won't update until these issues are fixed. There's too much information potentially exposed while the earnings possibilities on the app are infinitesimal. I could block the permissions but it often leads to forced closes, better wait for them to remove the permissions or forget about the app.
If you find my answers helpful, don't forget to drop a positive vote in my profile. It does nothing but shows your appreciation
ldpx3000
US moderator
Points2shop is my specialty
Total posts: 1117
Thanks for the question. The permission 'Modify/deletes SD card' is required by Google to write data to your storage unit. Without this, there would be no way to allow a user to sign in without logging in every time you use the app.

The second permission is used to send GPS coordinates to P2S when registering for a new account or requesting P2S Offers, as we filter those per country, city, state, etc.

If you feel that these permissions are to invasive or abusive, then please do not download the app or if you already have it installed then uninstall it at your leisure. We have never and will never use, re-use, sell, or otherwise abuse any information from your mobile device.
'Build a better idiot proof system and the universe will build a better idiot...'
chevychic255
US (GA) admin
Helper is my middle name
Total posts: 9216
Date of Birth: 1992-09-01
Total Earnings: $3297.95
Can you explain about the microphone permission? Seems to be confusion on that this morning along with 'sketchy' remarks about the app. :) It'll help to point users to your answer if these questions keep coming up.
-
ldpx3000
US moderator
Points2shop is my specialty
Total posts: 1117
Can you explain about the microphone permission? Seems to be confusion on that this morning along with 'sketchy' remarks about the app. It'll help to point users to your answer if these questions keep coming up.chevychic255

The microphone permission is only used when you have opted into the Points2Shop Plugin (it takes audio snapshots of the room to determine what commercials you are watching). If you choose not to opt-in to the plugin, the microphone permission is not used.
'Build a better idiot proof system and the universe will build a better idiot...'

You are not logged in.

Chat History

will load when you scroll to the bottom