More options
Points2Shop Forums » Suggestions » Punish Spammers More
Created: 2013-06-06 19:23:29
fatwerdo
US (NJ) gold
Junior Poster
Total posts: 53
Total Earnings: $117.62
There have been a lot of spammers in the forums lately, and it's really been annoying me that these people get away with writing unrelated things like "cool" and get merit quests for it. I just read the page about spam and here's something that really stood out to me. "You can lose lottery tickets, make people angry, and through persistence you may lose your account." To be honest, I think that this is way too vague and not strict enough. (Also, I don't get why lottery tickets are brought up). Here is my suggestion on how to stop spam.

First time: User is issued a warning and is linked to the wiki page on spam.
Second time: User is not allowed to post in forums for 7 days.
Third time: User is given a final warning that if they spam again they will be banned. Also not allowed to post in forums again for 30 days.
Fourth time: User is banned.

I believe this system would help eliminate spammers much more easily, and teach new users that it is not okay to spam. So what do you guys think?
hebby2012
UK legend
Points2shop is my specialty
Total posts: 1260
Total Earnings: $2457.65
If this is about posting topics then i agree maybe some re-work of the rules is in order. As the 4th warning Banned should be banned from posting in the forum not the whole site.

If this is about replying to topics then i think the current system is fine. Like when saying congrats to proof posts you're not going to sit there writing a full speech lol

Overall As there are multiple mods who moderate the forum it comes down to personal limits as i'm sure some members would agree some mods have different toleration levels.
fatwerdo
US (NJ) gold
Junior Poster
If this is about posting topics then i agree maybe some re-work of the rules is in order. As the 4th warning Banned should be banned from posting in the forum not the whole site.

If this is about replying to topics then i think the current system is fine. Like when saying congrats to proof posts you're not going to sit there writing a full speech lol

Overall As there are multiple mods who moderate the forum it comes down to personal limits as i'm sure some members would agree some mods have different toleration levels.hebby2012

I guess banned from the forums would be better, though if they can't spam the forums maybe they'll spam other things like the shoutbox. Anyway, both posting topics and replying to topics cause a lot of spam. I've seen situations like this a lot: someone asks for advice on something, e.g. improvements on a ref site, good offers to do, etc. A spammer comes in and just says "good luck." Nothing else. It's not that they're not writing more because they can't, as in the proof forums, it's that they're saying pointless things that don't add anything to the conversation. I guess this would apply more to the advice forums than anything else, but it's still a big problem.
chevychic255
US (NY) admin
Helper is my middle name
Total posts: 9216
Date of Birth: 1992-09-01
Total Earnings: $3316.53
I'm not sure where you read about the lotto tickets, but the freebies forum does give a ticket incentive for quality posts. Spam topics would revoke 2 tickets per topic so that's most likely what it's referring to.
Mods mostly manage the forums, and we don't have those types of banning privileges for days at a time. but if there's a member in question with spammy replies they could be forwarded to admin to look into and given the necessary punishment.

If you're seeing spam posts please use the alert a mod button so they can be reviewed, also platinum users have the ability to delete those posts. Def in the advice forum, anything that only repeats whats been said or unrelated to the topic would be deleted as it's only for upping post count .
-
fatwerdo
US (NJ) gold
Junior Poster
I'm not sure where you read about the lotto tickets, but the freebies forum does give a ticket incentive for quality posts. Spam topics would revoke 2 tickets per topic so that's most likely what it's referring to.
Mods mostly manage the forums, and we don't have those types of banning privileges for days at a time. but if there's a member in question with spammy replies they could be forwarded to admin to look into and given the necessary punishment.

If you're seeing spam posts please use the alert a mod button so they can be reviewed, also platinum users have the ability to delete those posts. Def in the advice forum, anything that only repeats whats been said or unrelated to the topic would be deleted as it's only for upping post count .chevychic255

First paragraph, third sentence. I think that how spam is determined should be this, either a certain number of people click on a link on the post titled "Flag this as spam" or mods can do it themselves. Then the admins could review it and make sure it really is spam before issuing out those punishments. And I do press the alert a mod button on all spam posts I see, it's just that sometimes they don't even get deleted and there's nothing that stops them from just spamming again. It really is frustrating to see people that do nothing but spam, because of both the post count that they get from it, and just the annoyance it is overall. If you look around in a lot of the forums, you can see a lot of the same users posting random, irrelevant stuff, and sure, their posts get deleted some of the time, but a lot of the time they don't, and they just keep on doing it.
flwlforeva
SG platinum
Why stop now?
Total posts: 856
Total Earnings: $412.7
I do see this around, and I'm not encouraging it but there are some common reasons why users would post like that.
Some users are obviously spamming and posting for post count.
Some repeat what has been said because they may feel they are not repeating it exactly, like they are providing a different point of view or they are putting things in a clearer light/making it more specific.
Some may think that they are encouraging the one who posted the topic, for example they want to congratulate everyone who has received a reward/let the one who posted a helpful topic know that it helped them a lot.
Just stating what I noticed, but it's purely my opinion. :)
This post has not been deleted.
Darkninja
US (CA) legend
Points2shop is my specialty
Total posts: 1885
There have been a lot of spammers in the forums lately, and it's really been annoying me that these people get away with writing unrelated things like "cool" and get merit quests for it. I just read the page about spam and here's something that really stood out to me. "You can lose lottery tickets, make people angry, and through persistence you may lose your account." To be honest, I think that this is way too vague and not strict enough. (Also, I don't get why lottery tickets are brought up). Here is my suggestion on how to stop spam.

First time: User is issued a warning and is linked to the wiki page on spam.
Second time: User is not allowed to post in forums for 7 days.
Third time: User is given a final warning that if they spam again they will be banned. Also not allowed to post in forums again for 30 days.
Fourth time: User is banned.

I believe this system would help eliminate spammers much more easily, and teach new users that it is not okay to spam. So what do you guys think?fatwerdo

wow.. to this i can agree 100% i have used varies forums before and they had similar situations and to find out they did have a similar system that you mentioned here and it worked o_o

the only problem i see though in this situation is the forums arent really that active at all least not like on other forums were someone makes a thread and its on 2 pages after 10 mins so yeah not sure if this really will get added =S
Raising money to get a new pc and a drawing tablet so i can make better drawings but i need help sharing the link... anyone want to help out? http://www.gofundme.com/artistdreampc

You are not logged in.

Chat History

will load when you scroll to the bottom