More options
Points2Shop Forums » Suggestions » Complete Removal of Banning Powers From ALL Honour Levels
1 2
Created: 2013-04-03 18:05:42
shelbinator
UK moderator
Points2Helper
Total posts: 5005
I think that banning powers should be removed from all members (regardless of honour level) with the obvious exception of mods and admin. Numerous reasons for this (listed below), but the main one has to be I'm sick of seeing abuse & misuse of powers. So here's my reasons.

1) Easier Honour Levels - Mostly for the US & UK, It's alot easier to earn now, and some members are earning the $400 required for elite within a couple of months. And I know there's also the 9 month time limit on it too, but just cause someones been a member for 9 months, it doesn't make them capable of being responsible enough to have banning moderation powers.

2) Age - So the minimum sign-up age is 13, so a person could become elite and be able to ban people at the age of 13. You still reach legend and still practically be a kid! At what age is someone responsible enough to moderate someone else actions? There's lots of kids on this site (incl. myself at 17), and so (I say this reluctantly) we're not usually mature enough for it. Although, this isn't just kids, alot of adults can be immature and not know how to handle such powers. You could have a mature teen and a childish adult I guess. But I guess, basically, no matter your age, an honor level doesn't prove a level of maturity and responsibility for having authority over other members.

3) Abuse & Misuse of Powers - I've seen so much abuse of powers from Elite+ members (incl. diamond and legend), and it's very unfair on newer members. Especially (as from my observations) it's normally the superior attitude of higher members who are carrying things on. I get that members who've been here longer hear the same Q's all the time and get annoyed, but that's no reason to have such a negative attitude to new users. They don't understand the site properly yet and we were all new once as well. We should be helpful and not throw a ban or threats of a ban straight at them as it's basically like a giant deterant.

I'm gonna throw a bit of psychology in here for fun to support my point, there was this study done called the Stanford Prison Experiment where people were given the role of prisoner and guard and the guards really abused their powers to the extremities. So essentially my point is these people weren't used to having such powers and when they got it, they abused it and didn't know how to use it properly. (I know it's alot deeper than that). And this is essentially what's happening when we give the banning powers to elites who may never have had such powers and therefore not know how to use them properly.

4) Mods and Admins - We have plenty of mods and admin at hand now! And people could say mods aren't always on, but you can send on a PM and they're usually pretty quick to reply. This would lead to have a "sub-suggestion" of having a separate list on out contacts of all the mods and admin so we can send thema quick message if someone's being a troll in shout. Heck, if we don't enough mods to support this, then admin could select a few responsible users (from watching the shout) to become new moderators on the site.

But so yeah, sorry about my bad wording and slightly jumpy train of thought, but I honestly think banning powers should be removed from ALL members.

Poll: Should banning powers be removed from members altogether?

Yes
No
Standings:

Want to make a poll too?? Click here.
kaidenlogan
UK legend
Am I spamming?
Total posts: 356
Date of Birth: 1981-05-26
Total Earnings: $2249.76
mods and admin not always in shout how will we cope wi all the spam and others
stuboy262
UK elite
Am I spamming?
Total posts: 371
Date of Birth: 1989-10-31
Total Earnings: $872.97
I say no, due to there have been alot of times when i have been on and No mods have for hours. I know admins could ban from the SB but they are really busy so with some "TRUSTED" users. I do agree however this needs to be removed from people abusing it :)
weeksy
US (ME) moderator
Half way there
Total posts: 517
Date of Birth: 1970-05-05
could kick this all over the place,i cant agree on all points..abuse of it,gets looked into,now they don't have the ability to do so.there is guidelines..always been that way..just alot more earning areas means alot more elite+...abuse it and lose it.
chevychic255
US (GA) admin
Helper is my middle name
Total posts: 9216
Date of Birth: 1992-09-01
Total Earnings: $3297.65
Agreed. The solution isn't to hand out tools to everyone, we need more mod support.
-
kaidenlogan
UK legend
Am I spamming?
Total posts: 356
Date of Birth: 1981-05-26
Total Earnings: $2249.76
Agreed. The solution isn't to hand out tools to everyone, we need more mod support.chevychic255

i agree we defo need more mods
stuboy262
UK elite
Am I spamming?
Total posts: 371
Date of Birth: 1989-10-31
Total Earnings: $872.97
Agreed. The solution isn't to hand out tools to everyone, we need more mod support.chevychic255

+1
isk8lakai
US (OR) moderator
Points2shop is my specialty
Total posts: 2168
Date of Birth: 1966-09-16
Total Earnings: $1326.03
Its just finding the people to work well with the existing team.... also asking to become one doesn't help one chances either.
kkrulez64
US (FL) legend
Old Forum User
Total posts: 3874
Date of Birth: 1988-03-02
Total Earnings: $3196.12
Definitely agree. Also, I hate the sudden change of attitude one person has when they go from Platinum to Elite. I could go on and on about this whole subject but I really don't feel like typing an essay tonight.
BloodyRanger44
US gold
New Poster
Total posts: 10
Total Earnings: $55.14
I strongly agree

1 2
You are not logged in.

Chat History

will load when you scroll to the bottom