More options
Points2Shop Forums » Referral Talk » Notification of violation of trademark rights
1 2
Created: 2013-02-15 13:14:28
helmsuzanne
UK moderator
Points2shop is my specialty
Total posts: 2023
Date of Birth: 1984-02-05
Total Earnings: $2021.55
I just got a email from Melbourne IT DBS and it seems i may have to give up my domain name for my referral site. Has anyone else had this issue before? Here is part of the letter:

It has come to the attention of the LEGO Group that you are the owner of the domain name www.free-lego.com (hereinafter referred to as the Domain Names). As you know, LEGO® is a registered trademark of the LEGO Group and as such an important asset of the LEGO Group. Accordingly, my client must be extremely vigilant in protecting its intellectual property rights and in preventing unauthorized use of its trademarks in order to prevent confusion with or dilution of those trademarks. The Domain Name is confusingly similar to said trademark.

My client would, prefer to solve this matter in an amicable fashion and therefore kindly asks you to transfer the Domain Name to the LEGO Group with immediate effect, and in the future, refrain from using any trademarks owned by the LEGO Group without authorization. The LEGO Group will be of assistance in transferring the Domain Name and will reimburse the out of pocket expenses the registrar may charge for the transfer and the registration fee you have paid for the Domain Name.
DarkSaber
US elite
Total posts: 2448
Total Earnings: $14515.48
Never happened to me, but yeah, some companies do that. Nothing much you can do about it. If you protest it, they'll most likely sue.
xXShaddowTXx
US (NV) gold
Total posts: 1299
Date of Birth: 1995-09-05
Total Earnings: $380.12
Ha, they are picking up your domain for free, now they won't have to pay for it AND you lose money/your site, how convenient.
helmsuzanne
UK moderator
Ha, they are picking up your domain for free, now they won't have to pay for it AND you lose money/your site, how convenient.xXShaddowTXx

They do say they will reimburse the out of pocket expenses the registrar may charge for the transfer and the registration fee you have paid for the Domain Name so they havn't quite got it for free, it only cost me £1.40 anyway.

I guess i better get started on a new site now.
xXShaddowTXx
US (NV) gold
Total posts: 1299
Date of Birth: 1995-09-05
Total Earnings: $380.12
Well that is good, but sad.
agm1992
UK moderator
Points2Helper
Total posts: 5664
Date of Birth: 1992-12-01
Total Earnings: $2449.82
Did you already transfer it? It appears that there is a link to the lego website in the footer now.
My Steam Profile
  • Worth: $4512 ($1217 with sales)
  • Games owned: 385
  • Games not played: 330 [i](86%)
  • Hours on record: 293.3h
herbonthepc
UK elite
Half way there
Total posts: 546
Total Earnings: $1422.06
i had the same thing about 6 months ago with facebook, http://www.points2shop.com/topic/141675/email-from-facebook-legal-dept-about-my-ref-site---/1 , i ignored it, blocked all of FB's ips from my server & added a disclaimer to my site saying it wasnt affiliated to facebook etc.

ive not heard back since :)
helmsuzanne
UK moderator
I haven't transfered it yet as I don't know how to, waiting for them to get back to me. I put the Lego link at the bottom hoping it would help my ranking but i'm not great with SEO anyway. I don't really want to fight it although it was my best website I will just make another although the new domain will cost more as it will be the 2nd I bought.
helmsuzanne
UK moderator
Does anyone know once i have given them the domain can i go back to using the old domain www.freelego.weebly.com or would i lose the site altogether?
DarkSaber
US elite
Total posts: 2448
Total Earnings: $14515.48
You'll be able to use the old domain.

1 2
You are not logged in.

Chat History

will load when you scroll to the bottom