Points2Shop Forums » Suggestions » Optional Swear Filter
Created: 2012-07-18 03:10:23
WhoWantsPies
US (IL) elite
Old Forum User
Total posts: 2937
Date of Birth: 1995-10-19
Total Earnings: $602.71
I have an idea to give the shoutbox users a little bit more freedom, while still preserving the "family-friendly" elements of the site, if you'd like to call them that.

An optional swear filter. When someone uses a curse word, any variation of such, or purposeful misspelling, instead of just blocking the message as a whole, we could just put [removed] over the word, like in private chat. When people sign up the filter will be turned on by default, with the option to remove it somewhere in account settings.

Starcraft's chat system works this way, and rather well, at that.
saloums7
US diamond
Am I spamming?
Total posts: 387
Date of Birth: 1994-12-13
Total Earnings: $2776.25
That would really be great :D but i'm sure there'd still be some people that would disable it and complain -_- plus having [removed] show up a bunch of times in a post wouldn't be very appealing :p maybe replace it by random characters? :D %$#"%? or something like that idk :p but i think there'd be some abuse lol
WhoWantsPies
US (IL) elite
Old Forum User
That would really be greatbut i'm sure there'd still be some people that would disable it and complain -_- plus having [removed] show up a bunch of times in a post wouldn't be very appealingmaybe replace it by random characters?%$#"%? or something like that idkbut i think there'd be some abuse lolsaloums7

Essentially, that's the exact same thing.

Also, I'm going to strangle whoever downvoted me.
dylan617
US platinum
Senior Poster
Total posts: 129
[removed] a [removed] [removed] great [removed] idea [removed] [removed]
WhoWantsPies
US (IL) elite
Old Forum User
[removed] a [removed] [removed] great [removed] idea [removed] [removed]dylan617

That's the spirit!
chevychic255
US (GA) admin
Helper is my middle name
Total posts: 9216
Date of Birth: 1992-09-01
Total Earnings: $3317.94
I don't agree with this. This would just encourage a lot of behavior we'd rather avoid, and I can already imagine how members would want to get "creative" with their posts and use the filters on purpose. You can already see how dylan is trying to be creative with his post, that doesn't really help with this suggestion... I don't see why we would allow something like this when we don't even allow using these *'s to block out words. It defeats the purpose of having the rules in the first place. Also the shoutbox is public, what's said in it reflects the sites reputation so something like this could only bring it down, not really a change that would be positive.

However, if you were suggesting an "optional swear filter" for private messages and the private chat where we could allow the "removed" words to show instead of blocking those out, I'd actually agree with it. What we say in private to friends is private. :p The only restrictions I would think we'd need for private chats and messages is for websites that we don't allow, to avoid promoting, etc. A feature like this could also be locked until a certain age too. Edit: Oh.. and to add to this, it could even be an option limited to FRIENDS only, to avoid conflicts with non-friends? :p

Anyway, that's my feedback.
-
Mydragonsfly
US (ND) elite
Half way there
Total posts: 605
Date of Birth: 1996-07-02
Slightly off-topic, but early this week whenever I tryed saying something to a particular user (forgot who it was sadly, plus it wasnt at all inappropriate) I kept getting blocked, forcing me to pm them instaid. If possible could I ask for a slight reworking of the filters?
not sure if they have this or not yet but i think its a good idea since most int. users do benefit more from refs and this could just boost that part" "Some international members seem to be very good at referringDarkninja, Shelbinator
dawsonxrobbins
US (NV) platinum
Points2shop is my specialty
Total posts: 1062
i guess that would be [removed] awesome
shelbinator
UK moderator
Points2Helper
Total posts: 5028
I don't agree, cause even with the "[removed]" thing in it's place, the implication of swearing is still there, and there's really no need to swear :)

You are not logged in.

Chat History

will load when you scroll to the bottom