More options
Points2Shop Forums » Suggestions » Moderator Issues!
1 2
Created: 2012-06-27 11:43:10
alkaholic1987
UK elite
Junior Poster
Total posts: 67
Total Earnings: $1080.16
ok im well aware this could potentially get me into bother but quite frankly following some of the treatment i have recieved from so called ''protectors'' of the site i no longer care whether i recieve another ban for this post as its called freedom of speech.as long as im not rude,offensive or using profanity nobody need find fault with this post.

ok now for the main part my gripe here is to do with moderators and if were gona be brutally honest about the situation im talking about US moderators as there the 1's doing it. And when i refer to ''it'' i mean unnecessarily issuing warnings and more importantly BANNING. ok so basically here in the UK words like dam or god dam(should note i do know how to spell the word properly but for some reason it can be said in shout but not the forum) are every day phrases we say with no offence aimed at any1 or anybody taking any if they here you say it. now that been said i am also aware that from things that have been said to me it appears a cardinal sin that should result in capital punishment (ok maybe a bit far pushed but by now im sure you are getting the message im not very happy) for people in the US.now i have personally been banned 4/5 times now for saying the word damn. and quite frankly i find it pathetic.i have had all sorts of different excuses as to why they have a problem with me saying it but 1 of the best 1's recently was here in america we dont like it.well im sorry you cater and provide for other countries too.and my country the UK has the most members of any country here outside of the states (obviously) this ''its american rules like it or lump it you can leave if you dont'' attitude quite frankly stinks.even a support ticket admin agreed with this sentiment in a past ticket i submitted so im not a ''rebel'' or ''renegade'' . i just want the chance to be able to talk freely when i know im not breaking any rules.and not to mention if it was that offensive for a start it would not be allowed in the shout.even 1 moderator stated i had not actually broken any rules yet still gave me a ban regardless? i find that appalling behaviour.

finally i would actually like some support on this matter especially from the UK members as many many people have agreed to this sentiment in private but i would actually ask you to openly support me in this thread so as it is clearly visible that i am not alone.otherwise i could potentially be booted indefinitely from the site for basically sticking up for myself.

Poll: Should using the word damn in the shoutbox result in a ban

YES
NO
Standings:

Want to make a poll too?? Click here.
amyNdean
UK elite
Junior Poster
Total posts: 74
Date of Birth: 1994-03-05
Total Earnings: $1227.09
I've never noticed using that word is bad in anyway or, gets you banned. This isn't fair.. How can you make rules over what all american's want, why should we be on this site working hard if it's all down to what the american's want, what they say goes.. Although, i wouldn't say i'd blame anyone working or helping on the site, they're torn between two sides, so in a way they have to respect what Americans don't like.. I don't see any harm in the word though. I'm not too sure how deep it goes though, i don't know the full details about this situation.
agm1992
UK moderator
Points2Helper
Total posts: 5663
Date of Birth: 1992-12-01
Total Earnings: $2449.34
We very recently changed the filters so that "dam" could be used in the shoutbox however we have to respect that the word in certain phrases can cause insult to some members.

For example saying "dam I got disqualified from the 150 points survey" is fine but "god dam it" is something that can be offensive to some.
My Steam Profile
  • Worth: $4512 ($1217 with sales)
  • Games owned: 385
  • Games not played: 330 [i](86%)
  • Hours on record: 293.3h
LDParker76
US legend
Points2shop is my specialty
Total posts: 1813
Date of Birth: 1984-11-09
Total Earnings: $3175.42
The word 'damn' itself is not barred from being said in the Shoutbox. It should not be combined with the word 'God' though, as some members would find that religiously offensive. Our goal here is not to please everyone on an individual basis, but to openly display the fact that we are a family-friendly network, or else there wouldn't be Moderators to enforce the rules of the Shoutbox (which do state 'cursing/swearing, and vulgar language is not allowed. Any Profanity will not be tolerated. Rude or derogatory remarks about anyone's race, religion, country, gender, or sexual orientation will not be tolerated.' ) - Which I believe that saying damn combined with the word God is profanity, and could possibly be considered a rude remark about religion if taken to extreme circumstances... i.e., being repeated often in comments or just out of spite and disregard for the Rules. Many members, most of higher level, sadly - Have been 'testing the waters' of what they can and cannot get away with. Misuse of the Facebook 'F' icon to replace curse letters, purposely misspelling swear words to avoid the filter - Should not be happening. New members would be, and are removed for such actions and as a Moderator, a Rule is a Rule, regardless of your level and no one's level makes them exempt to such if they desire to remain a member of our sites and expect to keep their communications privileges.
amyNdean
UK elite
Junior Poster
And that's why i didn't go to deep into an opinion, because i didn't know the facts, and they're right. Respect to the moderators because i completely agree, that could be offensive and shouldn't be allowed and it's good that you can use the word just not in that phrase:) those two words together could insult anyone, not just people from U.S, religious people would find that offensive.
hebby2012
UK legend
Total posts: 1260
Total Earnings: $2459.04
I agree with you. I think some get a little OTT with them selfs and just remove it/warn regardless as to the context it was used.. Personally can not see how it can be offensive.
shadycush
UK platinum
Used to the forums
Total posts: 48
Total Earnings: $451.22
People have many expressions of this word. I dont see any offence (even religious) in it at all. My understanding of the word is basicaly when your feeling ticked off at something and your asking for it to be damned by god. Its just a figure of speach, you all know god is not going to damn anything, as this is not how god works...
Shady Baby :-p
amyNdean
UK elite
Junior Poster
Yes but in america words are used and meant differently, different words for different things so to them it's bad, and tbh.. That's like saying jesus christ, when you're annoyed, religious people do get affended by that, so i think it's fair to be honest, at the end of the day i don't really care it's only a word.. You get a warning, you don't do it again, doesn't bother me.
alkaholic1987
UK elite
Junior Poster
Total posts: 67
Total Earnings: $1080.16
well ldparker im afraid when you banned me earlier if were gona go into specifics why didnt you ask me in which way i was saying it before you issued a ban.or even at least tried to see the context in which i was saying it.you just... banned me.so there for whatever angle you want to come at it with from whatever side you made a mistake.now im a reasonable guy and would easily ''patch things up'' but the first step to that is you admitting you made a mistake.the poll speaks for itself i think
LDParker76
US legend
Total posts: 1813
Date of Birth: 1984-11-09
Total Earnings: $3175.42
You get a warning, you don't do it again, doesn't bother me.amyNdean

But at what point is warning enough? When someone clearly has has multiple warnings only to keep violating the rules which clearly state what they're doing is wrong yet they continue anyway, lol. if they'd not continue, then I would imagine the sense in topics such as this one would be nil.

1 2
You are not logged in. This topic is locked and no new replies can be posted.

Chat History

will load when you scroll to the bottom