More options
Points2Shop Forums » Lifestyle » Is anyone any good at sewing? Help needed! :)
Created: 2012-04-27 13:28:05
emily0410
UK legend
Points2Helper
Total posts: 5964
Total Earnings: $4863.95
I'm a beginner at sewing and I'm making (or trying to lol) something for a costume for a friend's bday party.

I'm trying to make a tank top (from scratch), and I have my pieces ready to sew, but I don't know how to make it fit better. It fits fine at the top, but it's too big by my waist and I have no idea how to make it a little tighter and look more fitted (I don't want to look like I'm wearing a sack! :p )

Does anyone know what to do or having any tips? :) Any help is appreciated XD
Freddynastrid
US new
My first post
Total posts: 1
Date of Birth: Unknown
Total Earnings: $0.02
Cut it in a V shape then sew it
emily0410
UK legend
Points2Helper
Total posts: 5964
Total Earnings: $4863.95
By the way the material is quite stiff so I'm putting a zip up one side of it, otherwise if I shaped it to fit my waist, I wouldn't get it over my shoulders lol

Still need some more tips on fitting it, I'd rather do it by sewing than cutting to much more off if that's possible (I didn't buy any spare fabric :/ )
ashkatdodat
US (WI) gold
Used to the forums
Total posts: 29
Date of Birth: 1990-09-30
Total Earnings: $129.38
well u could lace it up one side instead of using a zipper that might work better with a stiff fabric
lacrimosaangel
UK moderator
Points2shop is my specialty
Total posts: 2375
Date of Birth: 1988-05-14
Total Earnings: $1519.78
Don't know if it's too late now, but you can put a dart in the the side :) Cut a small diamond out of either side, and sew the side hems as normal. you should have something that looks a bit like a slight hourglass shape

so it's fitted at the chest, tapers in at the waist and then flares slightly at the hips- this is how I make a lot of dress bodices and corset patterns, gives you a really nice shape too :)
~Running around in circles feeling caged by endless rules...~

You are not logged in.

Chat History

will load when you scroll to the bottom