Total posts: 68
Total Earnings: $307.9
Any suggestions for good movies?
2010-09-25 17:17:13
Evertw
NO elite
Points2shop is my specialty
Total posts: 1115
Tropic Thunder is a quite good comedy film.
jimfish
UK elite
Total posts: 1380
Total Earnings: $1278.48
Movie suggestions, you say? Well, there's always...

Nah. I don't have the energy. But I will point you to my previous post:
http://www.points2shop.com/topic/96420/Movies-/1

It's overly written and needs several subtractions and various additions (mentioned City Lights, but no Modern Times?! What was I thinking?!), but still a fair list.
Evertw
NO elite
Charlie Chaplin is quite a good actor, silent films are underrated.
daus26
US (WA) elite
Points2Helper
Total posts: 6966
Date of Birth: 1990-05-26
Total Earnings: $2802.18
Charlie Chaplin is quite a good actor, silent films are underrated.Evertw

That's cause most things with a lower budget are underrated. They don't have as much exposure for people to know about.
Evertw
NO elite
That's cause most things with a lower budget are underrated. They don't have as much exposure for people to know about.daus26

Yeah, but he was a hit in the 1930s and 40s. Trouble was that films with sound capabilities came along.
jimfish
UK elite
That's cause most things with a lower budget are underrated.daus26
Lower budget? Don't think because they were silent that they were somehow cheap. Chaplin's Modern Times cost $1.5 million, making it one of the most expensive silent films ever made. The original Ben Hur was about $4 million, possibly up to $6 million. And Metropolis, the German silent film, was 5 million Reichmarks, which, in today's money, is anywhere between 15.7 million to 28.9 million US dollars.

Don't forget. This was back in the day when Buster Keaton could say "I think I should blow up a bridge and train" and then go out the next day and do it, all for a comedy film. The shot alone cost $42,000 (which is about half a million today).

The General (with terrible soundtrack)

I can't believe I mentioned both Keaton and Chaplin, but no Lloyd. Those who say they don't like black and white or silent films will be swayed by Safety Last:
Evertw
NO elite
I can't take my eyes off that train crashing repeatedly.
daus26
US (WA) elite
Points2Helper
Total posts: 6966
Date of Birth: 1990-05-26
Total Earnings: $2802.18
Lower budget? Don't think because they were silent that they were somehow cheap. Chaplin's Modern Times cost $1.5 million, making it one of the most expensive silent films ever made. The original Ben Hur was about $4 million, possibly up to $6 million. And Metropolis, the German silent film, was 5 million Reichmarks, which, in today's money, is anywhere between 15.7 million to 28.9 million US dollars.

Don't forget. This was back in the day when Buster Keaton could say "I think I should blow up a bridge and train" and then go out the next day and do it, all for a comedy film. The shot alone cost $42,000 (which is about half a million today).

The General (with terrible soundtrack)

I can't believe I mentioned both Keaton and Chaplin, but no Lloyd. Those who say they don't like black and white or silent films will be swayed by Safety Last:jimfish

I don't know how much money it costs to make films in the UK, but 20 million would be considered a pretty low budget here. Big, blockbuster movies in the U.S have been averaging much more than 100 million.

Just a few examples: Tron: 170 million, Rango: 135 million, Transformers Dark of the Moon, 195 million, Pirates of the Carribbean: 450 million (on two films), and Avatar? At least 250 million.

Sure, 29 million, or even 50 million is a lot of money, but that won't make any of the films from the US released in theaters, except a very few exception like Paranormal Activity, which was released in Theaters as an experiment.
jimfish
UK elite
A big part of that would be the salaries. Inflation alone isn't enough. I almost did a spit take when I heard Denzel Washington's salary on Unstoppable was $20,000,000. He's a good actor, but twenty million dollars? And talking of Pirates of the Carribbean, Johnny Depp was supposed to have netted a cool $55.8 million dollars, but to get an accurate figure is next to impossible in the nefarious world of Hollywood accounting. It'd be interesting to find out just how much movies cost when the salaries are stripped out.

That said, I do seem to recall hearing that Shia LeBeuof got stiffed on his salary for Transformers. He only got some $500,000. By the time Transformers 3 rolled around, he's getting paid $10,000,000.

If you fancy an interesting read, there's the budget for Sahara. It's one of the only movie budgets to be publicly released, and it's very telling. A quarter of a million on bribes, two million dollars on a 46 second plane crash sequence which got cut from the final film, and $105,556 spent on bottled water alone. Charlie Chaplin never drank no bottled water, I can tell you that.

1 2 3 4 5 6
You are not logged in.

Chat History

will load when you scroll to the bottom