Who here likes classical music?

More options

Points2Shop Forums » Entertainment » Who here likes classical music?
Created: 2011-04-24 19:11:17
DomTee
US (NY) gold
Used to the forums
Total posts: 30
Date of Birth: 1993-10-18
Total Earnings: $-1.31
reply date: 2011-04-24 19:11:17

Poll: Do you go out of your way to listen to/enjoy classical music?

Yes, I love it!
No... I could care less
Standings:

Want to make a poll too?? Click here.

After a few weeks of practice I was finally able to learn the violin part of Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 4 Finale on Trumpet! :D

Song here --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLHj-eekdNU

lacrimosaangel
UK moderator
Points2shop is my specialty
Total posts: 2375
Date of Birth: 1988-05-14
Total Earnings: $1503.94
reply date: 2011-04-24 19:35:37

Classical music is my life! I wouldn't be who I am without it.
My favourite piece is Lacrimosa by Mozart (from the Dies Irae sequence of the Requiem mass) closely followed by Chopin's Nocturne, and Wagners' Prelude to Tristan and Isolde!

I <3 most classical musicians and composers, but particularly Chopin, Wagner, Mozart, Bach and Brahms.

Instuments and grades (mostly self-taught):
Flute (Diploma)
Cello (Diploma)
Piano (grade 7)
Violin (grade 7)
Clarinet (grade 6)
Classical guitar (grade 6)
Recorder (grade 6)
Vocals (Opera - grade 5)
Vocals (classical - Diploma)
Harp (grade 5)

Also took a short course in Conducting for symphonic orchestra,
Music gcse and A level, 14 years of Orchestral and Choral experience ^_^

If you want to hear some REALLY good post-modern classical pianists, Look up "Yiruma", "David Lanz" "Arthur Bliss" and "Yuko Ohigashi" on youtube.

Ohigashi was 8 when he composed one of his best works (Love Is) its' one of the most beautiful pieces I have EVER heard in my life ^^
~Running around in circles feeling caged by endless rules...~
ttimmy2005
UK elite
Senior Poster
Total posts: 235
Total Earnings: $1428.24
reply date: 2011-04-24 19:49:53

I love classical music, although i play bass, and mainly funk, i think classical music has a big influence on how music is composed today, in fact, it has sculpted full stop how music is composed today. My favorite piece has got to be Chopins' Trio in G minor. This (although there are many pieces) actually make the hair on my arms stand on end. I don't think that enough people listen to classical, it's all rap, pop, etc etc, and although they are all good in their own way, classical should be at the top of the list of things to listen to.
lacrimosaangel
UK moderator
reply date: 2011-04-24 20:03:03

I love classical music, although i play bass, and mainly funk, i think classical music has a big influence on how music is composed today, in fact, it has sculpted full stop how music is composed today.ttimmy2005

Oh gosh I fully agree with this 100%! In fact, were it NOT for Wagner and his general lack of obedience to the musical rules, we would not HAVE music such as we do today! Wagner changed everyone's opinions about how music should be written; Like his unparallelled use of the aug-4th chord in Tristan and Isolde (known back in those times as the "devils chord") His use of consecutive and parallel octaves and 5ths (VERY much a big no-no in the classical period) changed the way that music was written for everyone - since then, music has come such a long way!

Were it not for him breaking these rules, music would still be very simple and basic, relying only on the basic foundations of a simple triad with a harmonized melody - we'd have no chromatic use, no dischords - without which, such "music" as rock, rnb, even POP music would be impossible!

Edit-
I LOVE chopin's Triad, but I have to say that possibly one of the greatest pieces he has ever written (Technical wise) HAS to be Etude Op 10 in Cm (Revolutionary Etude) Which he wrote in Stuttgart after hearing that Poland Fell after the insurrection in Warsaw ended in defeat :) Such a hard piece to play! As is Fantasie impromptu In C-sharp Major ^^
jimfish
UK elite
Total posts: 1380
Total Earnings: $1274.38
reply date: 2011-04-25 03:43:13 last edited on: 2011-05-20 23:00:17

Ahem. The expression is "couldn't care less", as opposed to "I could care less."

In order for one to "care less" about a subject, they must first care about it somewhat. Lacrimosa, for all her enthusiasm and esteem for classical music, could, in fact, care a little bit less than she currently does. Saying "I could care less about classical music" does indeed imply, nay dictate, that there is some degree of care towards classical music, and as an indicator of one's caring, is useless. On a scale of 0 to 100, with Lacrimosa being 99, let's say, and somebody who doesn't like classical music being on 1, they could both honestly say "I could care less about classical music", unless the second person is on 0, in which case they "couldn't care less", as you can't give minus caring, therefore you're at the lowest point of caring - you could care a great deal more, but you couldn't care less.

Here endth the lesson.
lacrimosaangel
UK moderator
reply date: 2011-04-26 03:58:47

Lacrimosa, for all her enthusiasm and esteem for classical music, could, in fact, care a little bit less than she currently does.jimfish

I could... but I'm not going to ;)
daus26
US (WA) elite
Points2Helper
Total posts: 6966
Date of Birth: 1990-05-26
Total Earnings: $2728.76
reply date: 2011-04-26 09:20:00

I couldn't have said it better Jimfish, lol. This would mean that everyone that votes on this poll likes classical music in some way.

Personally, classical music are music that are very easy to listen to, so it's hard for me to not like it. I listen to it on specific occasions, but not often. However, on those specific occasions, classic music is a must for me.
Jamiestone
IN new
Junior Poster
Total posts: 65
Date of Birth: Unknown
Total Earnings: $0.0
reply date: 2011-08-05 02:04:27 last edited on: 2011-08-05 02:05:25

Yes,i really like to listen classical music a lot.This is my favorite genre of music which i like to listen it.