Axecutioner
US (NV) platinum
Senior Poster
Total posts: 136
Date of Birth: 1981-06-30
Total Earnings: $115.59
reply date: 2010-11-06 01:37:37

Axecutioner's TriPeaks Solitaire Strategy Guide

This is all you will ever need to know about the popular and addicting P2S game TriPeaks Solitaire. All of these tips and tricks are based on personal experience, testing and a bit of math, so if you think something is wrong or you think you have better suggestions please tell so I can improve this guide.

First of all, this isn't a basic rule guide for the game. This is a strategy guide with tips and tricks to help improve your average scoring round. TriPeaks Solitaire is partly a game of luck, also. Using these strategies, I have gotten scores anywhere from 30 to 300, so this doesn't guarentee higher scores. Only a higher average score. :)

While playing the game, you'll most likely come to a few dilemmas. I have an 8, do I play the 7 or the 9? I have a good combo going, should I use my wildcard? What you choose can sometimes make the difference between a win and a loss.

The top priority of this game, the way to get the most amount of points, is to get high combos. The main point of this guide is to maximize your combos, of the probability of high combos.

Multiple Paths
This is where there are 2 or more cards to play with what you have. When you have this option, whenever it is, there are a few things to check before making your decision. Here's what to do:

Priority 1
From what you see, always, always, always pick the visible path that plays as many cards as possible. Pretty obvious as to why: the more cards you play without drawing, the better your score, in every way.
Example:
There are tons of ways to go here. Up to the queen? Down to the 6?
Options: 9,8,7,6 / 9,10,J,Q / 7,6,7,8,9,10,J,Q
What to do: 7,6,7,8,9,10,J,Q. This plays the most amount of visible cards.

Priority 2
If both paths play the same amount of cards, choose the path that uncovers the most amount of new cards. This gives a much greater chance that you uncover something to keep your combo going.
Example:
Options: Left 2 or Right 2. Either way, you will play 5 cards: 2,3,4,3,2 or 2,3,2,3,4
What to do: Go for the left 2, it uncovers 2 more cards, instead of the right 2 which doesn't uncover any. From there, go for the left 3, left 4, right 3, right 2 to uncover 3 more.

Priority 3
If both paths play the same amount of visible cards, and uncover the same amount of new cards, go for the card in the lowest row.
Example:
Options: Left 10 or Right 10?
What to do: Go for the left 10. It's one row lower than the right 10. Later on, playing the left 10 will help you to uncover more cards. In this example, playing the left 10 will leave 3 cards open once you get the 7 and A, and what's underneath them, instead of playing the right 10 and leaving only 1 card open after getting the J and the 2 under it.
From there: Once you play the left 10, you can either play a 9 or a J. What should you do? Go for the J, it uncovers 2 more and might keep your combo going a bit longer. (In this example, it's the same either way since you can go 10,J,10,9 or 10,9,10,J but you get my point. :) )

Priority 4
If both paths play the same amount of visible cards, uncover the same amount of new cards, and are on the same level, play the number with the greater total number of that card.
Example:
Options: 4 or right 2. Both end the combo, uncover the same amount of cards, and are on the same level.
What to do: Play the right 2. There are two 2's and one 4, and no matter what you do they're practically the same to play. But later on, it'll be harder to get rid of two 2's than a 2 and a 4. See what I mean? ;)

Priority 5
If both paths play the same amount of visible cards, uncover the same amount of new cards, and are on the same level, and have the same total number of that card, play the card that is closest to another card.
Example:
Options: A or 3. Both end the combo, both uncover 2 new cards, neither have another of their kind, and both are on the same level.
What to do: Play the 3. You have a much better chance of uncovering a 4 to continue the combo with the 5, than to uncover a K and Q and continue the combo with the J by playing the A.
Proof:
Result: I was lucky and uncovered a 4 and a 6, keeping the combo going 3 cards more than if I would have chosen the A. :D

Wild Cards
Wild Cards are a very important part of TriPeaks Solitaire, using them right can mean a huge difference, and there are a few basic strategies to using them.

Scenario 1
You have a combo of 6, and can't play any more cards. If you use a wild card, you are guaranteed to continue the combo 2 more cards.
Options: Play it and get a total of 36 points for the 8 card combo -OR- Don't play it and settle with 21, and a wild card left.
What to do: Don't use it. A wildcard is worth a lot more than 15 points when played well...

Scenario 2
You have a combo of 8, and can't play any more cards. If you use a wild card, you are guaranteed to continue the combo 4 more cards.
Options: Play it and get a total of 78 for the 12 card combo -OR- Don't play it and settle with 36, and a wild card left.
What to do: Use it! That's an extra 42 points, quite a bit for playing it.

Scenario 3
You haven't gotten any good combos, so you haven't used the wild card, and are down to the last few rows. There are 4 unrelated (2, 5, 8, J for example) cards left. You have drawn 3 cards in a row already.
Options: Play it and get one card, but don't lose any more points drawing cards -OR- Don't play it, risking the loss of more points but keeping the wild card.
What to do: Don't play it. Chances of drawing something playable: 8 in 13 (1,3,4,6,7,9,10,Q). Pretty good chances.

Scenario 4
You have 2 unrelated (2 and 8 for example) cards left in the game and have drawn 3 in a row trying to get them.
Options: Play it and get rid of a card, preventing you from losing any more points -OR- Don't play it and go for it.
What to do: Don't play it yet. If you still have the wildcard at this point in the game, it's best to use it. What I have found though, is that it is statistically better to go for both cards left, and play it right after you get one of them. ;)
Alternatively: If the two cards left are related (3 and 4 for example), just play the wildcard and end the game.

Scenario 5
You have drawn 3 cards in a scenario like this:
Example:
Options: Use it and play K,Q,J,10 for 10 points and uncover 6 more cards -OR- Don't play it and risk losing more points.
What to do: Play the wildcard. If you play K,Q,J,10 then you have 6 new cards to get a J or 8, that's 12 out of 13 chance. Pretty good!
Alternatively: In this case, you can draw another card instead of using the wildcard. Chances are that you'll get something playable, but not get all 4 in a row (draw a 10, and play J,Q,K and miss a 10). Scenario 5 can be iffy, but I have found that if you get that far without using your wild card, then this a good place to do so.

Wild Card usage if very subjective. Most of the time it depends on the specific situation, and learning how to decide what to do comes mostly from experience. Practice makes perfect!

Extra Tips and Tricks

Scenario 1: You have a potential for a large combo, and draw a card that would not include all the cards in that combo.
Example:
Options: Play with the J that was drawn and get a max combo of 6 (10,J,Q,K,A,2 or Q,J,10,9,8,7) to get 21 points -OR- Draw again and try to get a 6,8,A,3 and get a combo of 10 (55 points) and uncover 9 more cards.
What to do: Draw and try to get a 6,8,A,3. That will give a much bigger combo, and you will have a great chance of continuing that combo with the 9 new cards you uncover, probably leading to a 100+ point move.

Thanks for reading my TriPeaks Solitaire strategy guide! I hope this will help you improve your winning record and gain some of those lost points back. ;) With a lot of luck and the right strategy, I scored 325!

If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions, please post them! I am open to help and will really appreciate advise to help improve my guide.

~Axecutioner

Thanks to the following users for helping helping in my research.
-dibbles
Alerec
US (OR) gold
Junior Poster
Total posts: 78
Date of Birth: 1992-04-28
Total Earnings: $3.29
reply date: 2010-11-06 01:39:04 last edited on: 2011-07-06 21:24:40

Very nice guide, this will be very helpful when I can play the game :D
mrtman34343
US platinum
Am I spamming?
Total posts: 387
Total Earnings: $169.9
reply date: 2010-11-06 17:15:31

wow thats helps alot mybe i will actually win this game
2010-09-01 20:41:29
Trumania
US (CA) gold
Senior Poster
Total posts: 158
reply date: 2010-11-06 18:56:08

Nice strategy.
2010-09-02 20:55:13
Jp1206
US (ME) new
My first post
Total posts: 5
Date of Birth: 1980-11-09
Total Earnings: $-0.1
reply date: 2010-11-11 12:31:59 last edited on: 2011-07-06 21:24:53

Thanks it really helps
2010-10-24 20:22:10
propooper98
US (FL) silver
Why stop now?
Total posts: 847
reply date: 2010-11-11 14:00:39

Wow, nice guide, but still quite confusing, since I've never played it. 0.o
free runescape membership*** free nx cash free xbox live
IceyImperia
US gold
Used to the forums
Total posts: 33
Total Earnings: $61.27
reply date: 2010-11-12 18:25:41

The games are hard :(
If you choose me i'm waiting for you -Flyleaf
propooper98
US (FL) silver
Why stop now?
Total posts: 847
reply date: 2010-11-12 18:45:16

wow I won 50 points using this, but it took FOREVER !
free runescape membership*** free nx cash free xbox live
Axecutioner
US (NV) platinum
Senior Poster
Total posts: 136
Date of Birth: 1981-06-30
Total Earnings: $115.59
reply date: 2010-11-15 18:55:24

I updated Wild Card usage Scenario 4 to be more accurate. I played about 15 games earlier and confirmed that the new Scenario 4 is better than the old.

On a different note, please check out my Research Topic to help out with this guide. A list of helping members will be put at the bottom of the OP. Thanks!
ashnaprasad5
US (CA) gold
My first post
Total posts: 5
Date of Birth: 1993-02-05
Total Earnings: $-0.18
reply date: 2010-11-26 21:12:33

i love this game easy to get points...
2010-11-16 15:29:40
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
You are not logged in.
Login with your social network: