virus treat set for monday july 9?

More options

Points2Shop Forums » Off-Topic » virus treat set for monday july 9?
1 2
Created: 2012-07-06 21:27:06
dylan617
US platinum
Senior Poster
Total posts: 130
reply date: 2012-07-09 00:39:25

*pulls glasses down* Mother of god! :o
jimfish
UK elite
Points2shop is my specialty
Total posts: 1380
Total Earnings: $1274.38
reply date: 2012-07-09 02:39:36

I say we all stay off the interwebz tomorrowdylan617

Erm....that's the worst thing you could do. The malware isn't going to strike July 9th; it already struck last year. If you're already infected, you need to scan and clear your computer of the malware. If you don't, when the FBI's cyber division turn off the servers, you're going to lose your internet.

The scan address that Darkninja linked to will take care of it. No download required. Just click the link and if it flashes green, you're good to go. Chances are, you don't have the malware. If you did, you'd probably notice something a little iffy each time you try to access a site, but scan to be sure.
dylan617
US platinum
Senior Poster
Total posts: 130
reply date: 2012-07-09 02:41:31

I didnt have this computer last july :cool:
Mydragonsfly
US (ND) elite
Half way there
Total posts: 602
Date of Birth: 1996-07-02
reply date: 2012-07-10 02:00:40

Kinda late to the party but...

I heard that this had to do with the DNSChanger malware that was out there just recently. That malware was sent from a pair of servers, which changed the dns addresses of some computers to those servers. The FBI arrested the criminals and secured the servers turning them into temporary dns servers. They shut them down over the 9th and any computers still with those particular servers code were infected and likely to still be linked with those servers. When they were shutdown any computer with those dns addresses would loose internet access.

Least thats what CNET says...
not sure if they have this or not yet but i think its a good idea since most int. users do benefit more from refs and this could just boost that part" "Some international members seem to be very good at referringDarkninja, Shelbinator
shelbinator
UK moderator
Old Forum User
Total posts: 4492
Date of Birth: 1995-06-22
Total Earnings: $1280.12
reply date: 2012-07-10 07:05:54

does this thing mean you can't connect to a specific wifi/i.p address or your cut off from all internet? :)
The Mighty Parker has Spoken!
Mydragonsfly
US (ND) elite
Half way there
reply date: 2012-07-10 15:57:01

No internet for you, period, untill you changed your dns settings.
not sure if they have this or not yet but i think its a good idea since most int. users do benefit more from refs and this could just boost that part" "Some international members seem to be very good at referringDarkninja, Shelbinator
shelbinator
UK moderator
Old Forum User
reply date: 2012-07-11 08:07:05

No internet for you, period, untill you changed your dns settings.Mydragonsfly

oooh O_O I'm worried cause I have no internet on my laptop at all anymore.... won't connect to school, work or home O_o (i'm on the home computer atm:p) Lol i'll just take it to the shop and get them to look at it xD
Mydragonsfly
US (ND) elite
Half way there
reply date: 2012-07-11 17:49:38

Lol i'll just take it to the shop and get them to look at it shelbinator

What what what!!? I dunno if it will cost you to get that changed, but who would you rather trust? Some quack techie, or a know-it-all 16 yearold? :facepalm:

No seriously this can all be done quite easily at home. If you have windows7 then this article should be of assistance to you. If not, a simple internet search should suffice.

"how to change your dns settings" + whatever operating system you have. (EX: Win7 WinXP etc)
shelbinator
UK moderator
Old Forum User
reply date: 2012-07-12 09:27:19

What what what!!? I dunno if it will cost you to get that changed, but who would you rather trust? Some quack techie, or a know-it-all 16 yearold?

No seriously this can all be done quite easily at home. If you have windows7 then this articleshould be of assistance to you. If not, a simple internet search should suffice.

"how to change your dns settings" + whatever operating system you have. (EX: Win7 WinXP etc)Mydragonsfly

Lol it won't cost me anything my laptops insured and under warranty ;) I looked at that but I'm not gonna touch any of the settings so they can't blame it on me :p
DeadlyPikachu
US (VA) platinum
Am I spamming?
Total posts: 354
Total Earnings: $200.01
reply date: 2012-07-14 21:54:59

its all over though so thers nothing to b worried about
2010-08-16 18:42:20
1 2
You are not logged in.
Login with your social network: